How Much Of A Home Can I Afford In Boise Idaho?
How much Boise Idaho mortgage money can I qualify to borrow?
This is typically the number one question mortgage professionals are asked by new clients.
Of critical importance when considering mortgage financing: There is sometimes a difference between what a client ***can*** borrow and what they ***should*** borrow.
In other words, what makes for a comfortable long-term mortgage payment?
The Quick Answer:
If we’re simply considering the financial math, lenders will calculate your Debt-to-Income Ratio and generally allow for 28-31% of your gross income to be used for the new house payment with up to 43% of your gross income to be used for all consumer related debts combined.
Sample Mortgage Scenario:
Let’s use a gross monthly income of $3000 and a qualifying factor of 30% Debt-to-Income Ratio:
$3000 multiplied by .3 (30%) = $900 max monthly mortgage payment
This means that your mortgage payment (Principal, Interest, Taxes, Hazard Insurance) cannot exceed $900 a month.
“Ballparking” a Qualifying Loan Amount:
Simple step: We use a safe average of $7 per month in payment for every $1000 in purchase price so…
Step 1) $900 a month divided by $7 = $128.50
Step 2) $128.50 multiplied by 1000 = $128,500 loan amount.
Remember, these are average ratios and guidelines set by most lenders for common mortgage programs.
Keep in mind, while most consumer debts are listed on a credit report, there are some additional monthly liabilities that may contribute to the overall qualifying percentages as well.
Regardless of how your personal income and credit scenarios factor in, it is important to consider your overall budget when trying to determine how much of a mortgage you should qualify for.
Other items to consider in your monthly budget:
1. Confirm all debts are taken into account
2. Any private notes or family loans
3. Short-term expenses – medical, auto repairs, travel, emergencies
4. Plan on additional expenses for the home such as water, electric, maintenance, etc…
5. Keep a cushion for savings and financial planning
If you have any questions regarding how much of a home you can afford feel free to contact us.
Related Articles – Mortgage Approval Process:
- Basic Mortgage Terms
- Common Documents Required For A Mortgage Pre-Approval
- Top 8 Questions To Ask Your Lender During Application Process
- What’s The Difference Between An Investment Property, Second Home and Primary Residence?
- Seven Items Real Estate Agents Need To Know About Your Mortgage Approval
- No Money For A Down Payment Try a USDA Rural Development Home Loan
- Applying For A Boise, Idaho Mortgage – Required Documentation
Top 10 Boise Idaho First Time Home Buyer Mortgage Links/Articles/Questions
1. 3 Great Idaho First-Time Home Buyer Loans
2. Idaho Housing and Finance Association Zero Down 100% Financing for First-Time Home Buyers
3. Idaho USDA Rural Development (RD) Zero Down 100% Financing First Time Home Buyer Loan
4. Idaho VA 100% Home Financing Loans
5. Idaho First-Time Home Buyer Frequently Asked Questions
6. Jumbo Mortgage Financing for Boise, Idaho Properties
7. Conventional Home Loans For Boise Idaho Borrowers
8. VA Mortgage Loans in Boise Idaho
9. Boise Idaho Reverse Mortgage Senior Loans
10. FHA Mortgage Loans in Boise Idaho